Robson House

How do we manage transitions for children joining or leaving our school?

When a child comes in to our school, we always put in place a detailed transition plan. We prepare carefully to help children to feel safe and settle in. This process includes:

We create a Passport to help the child get to know Teachers and support staff and become familiar with the building.

When a child moves up to the next class, we organise “Hand-Over” meetings where teachers and support staff make sure that the new teacher and Teaching Assistant (TA) have a clear understanding of the needs of all children.

Transitions The key focus Who involved What we do

Primary to Secondary

Support for move to new building and curriculum

Support for friendships and well being

Planning support for learning

Primary + Secondary SENDCOs

Head of Year

Learning Mentors

Attend Induction days

Hold Transition meetings with parents

Invite   Visits to our schools

Secondary SENDCO attends Year 6 Annual Reviews

Mid-term admissions

Support for coming to a new school – e.g. learning, friendships and well-being


Learning Mentor

Meet pupil and parents

Assess needs

Go through classroom routines and weekly timetable

Tour the school

Give Learning Mentor support for first term + a pupil buddy


 Q. Who do I talk to about my child moving between Reception and Year 1 and between Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2?

  • It depends on your child’s needs. The starting point would be your child’s current Class teacher. You might then want to talk to the SENDCO

Q. What happens when a child who has a SEN statement/Education Health Care plan moves on to secondary school?

  • We invite parents and the Secondary school SENDCO to take part in the Annual Review of the Statement/Education Health and Care plan in Year 6.
  • We then provide extra escorted and supported visits to the secondary school: these involve a tour of the school and a meeting with the Form Tutor.   We then discuss with the secondary SENDCO any extra support for each child depending on her or his needs.

Q. What might change about a child’s support when he moves to secondary school?

  • Our SENDCO will make sure that the Secondary school is fully aware of the child’s needs and explains what was most effective and successful for him in the primary phases of education. The Secondary school will then plan a programme of support suitable for the secondary curriculum.

Q. How do I find out about who the new point of contact will be in the new school?

  • You should request a meeting with the school’s SENDCO as soon as possible after your child starts secondary school. The SENDCO holds all the records on children with SEND new to the school and s/he will let you know who the Key Worker will be for your child.

Back to our SEN Information Report.