Robson House

How do specialist professionals support the progress and well-being of children with SEND?

Our psychotherapist, social worker, speech and language therapist, clinical psychologist, and educational psychologist:

  • will provide consultation to staff to help ensure that children’s needs are understood and that appropriate support is delivered to meet these
  • may provide direct assessment of children’s needs in order to support planning and intervention.
  • may provide direct intervention for children (e.g. psychotherapy, communication groups, psycho-education)

Our SENDCO monitors the quality and effectiveness of these interventions at least every term. We measure attainment at the start of an intervention and then assess progress over time. If a child is not making sufficient progress, we will consider other forms of support in discussion with you and your child.

Teaching and support staff also work closely with relevant members of external specialist services when needed. This external support includes occupational therapy, school nursing, psychiatry, creative and equine therapy, and specialist input from the Camden Hearing Impaired service, and the Camden Visually Impaired service. Each service has referral and eligibility criteria. This means that service support is targeted on children with higher levels of need.

These services provide a range of support including:

  • working one to one and with small group work with children
  • providing training for teaching and support staff
  • helping us to assess needs and plan next steps and review progress

We will always involve you in any decisions about whether your child has a special educational need and the best ways to provide support. If your child requires these services we will involve you in the process at every stage: we will ask you to sign a referral form before the support can go ahead.

You can find more information about specialist services who work with Camden schools in the Local Authority Local Offer website: Health and Care Services Section –

Back to our SEN Information Report.